Sunday, May 1, 2011

O Place: sometimes,more is less





Very rarely we've been to the same place within 2 weeks. Came here with a friend during lunch hour break, and came here again during one dinner with family. Just because parking is ample, no need to break your head to find parking.

O Place is situated in Greentown business centre, in one of the old bungalow near to where MP is. It is directly opposite where Laksamana Chenho is, the same row as Mikes place and Vanggey rice, though further down the road.

Deco was really nice. I would just come for the environment. Though converted from a bungalow, it retained the feel of an old house, the partition, the old gates, the staircase.... it felt like a boutique restaurant. The theme of the deco was similar to Secret Recipe though, all red and white.


This had brought the fusion cafe to a new height. Usually, fusion cafe would be the usual chops, steak plus local oriental dish. Sometimes, you would find japanese udon, rarely bentos. But here, in addition to that, it had extra some of the tong-sui such as toufufa, glutinous rice ball plus bibimbap. Yes, it is BIBIMBAP. Korean stone bowl rice, or as my wife usually put it, appeared like dog rice. Heck, as long as it is tasty, I dun care what you call it. I was so impressed at the selection, that I ordered it in both occasion I've been here.



Alas, the food came. My first bibimbap was a normal one in the set lunch. It tasted fine, the taste was not as heavy as the ones I had in Yaewon. More acceptable. Just felt like normal rice with bit of vege and sauce. So, I told myself to order some other selection the next time I come. So, the next round, I ordered Thai sauce bibimbap (Rm10.90). The taste was slightly sour, which would expected from Thai taste. But beside that, so many things were wrong. There were addition of raisin (what was raisin doing in a Thai dish?) and so much of pineapple (I am not a pineapple person, and I dun expect to see so much in any Thai dish). In the end, the taste was neither here nor there. Definitely not my cup of tea. Wife ordered asam laksa (RM7.90). She was so upset with it, I had to finish the half of the bowl. It was too thick in the taste, too hot (not spicy, but hot), HOWEVER, the important ingredient of "hago" or prawn paste was missing (or at least we didnt taste any). The noodle was one of the worst we ever tasted, the consistency was like glue. At least mum in law's dish of thai sauce chicken rice (RM7.90) was salvageable. I thought it was nicely done, though the chicken was not well marinated. However, mum also complain the taste was too heavy that by the 3/4 of the dish, she felt it was too much for her. Then came the sesame rice ball (glutinous rice ball) (RM4.90), finally something sweet. The rice ball was
obviously from some packet. The soup was the killer. We understand that it was suppose to be ginger tea, we would expect something like the normal taufufa type. But the ginger was so strong that it felt like something cooked for a new born mother.

In the end? It was rather disappointing dinner, then again, the selection was really wide and the deco is good, I wont be surprise to come back again. Just for the parking space. And the price was rather reasonable for a place like this. Then again, the food was not really great to begin with.

ratings: 2 poink! (wife insist to give one only)
comments: do not order street food from kopitiam place. they usually never do it well. but, some, have the ability to ruin it. I guess, the bibimbap and the bento was the saving grace, as you wont find it in most kopitiam or fusion joint.

O Place
104A, Jalan Sultan Abdul Jalil, Greentown, 30450, Ipoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment