Sunday, December 2, 2012

Spice Of Penang: street delight in comfy seats

First of all, I had to apologize of not blogging much. Not that I had left the blogosphere, but the fact is my HTC Touch 3G had finally retired for good. Therefore, I am stuck with my old Nokia phone at the moment without any camera. Somehow, blogging about food without picture is rather tasteless. At least at the moment, using Colleen's phone to capture the pic, which in turn is definitely better than my old HTC anyway.

As usual, during my on-call week in Ipoh, gave me many chance to eat out. Bringing mum-in-law along, I chose somewhere rather new and decent. The new shop lots behind Aeon/ Tesco in Ipoh Garden would be a smart choice since there are many, many new shops mushrooming there (provided they can last, they tend to open fast, and close down as equal).

Spice of Penang, as the shop name suggest, probably house a kopitiam style food under a air-con environment. Located at the corner of the complex, just go from Tesco towards the new row of shops, look for the same row as Redcom (computer shop, with the biggest billboard there). I was there for dinner but I can safely assume that it should be open for lunch as well. Not very sure whether it is a chain, but likelihood there is others in the same chain in Penang or KL as well.

The shop is small, sort of open air but the ventilation is good. Although new, the workers are decently welcoming. Tables are spacious for a small shop, surprisingly. Deco, is as expected, not the star in the shop.

tumeric rice with roast chicken (nasi kandar style)
The menu, oh my, is sort of full of varieties of street style dishes. From nasi lemak to nasi kunyit; from fried noodle to fried rice. The usual chicken chop. Cant find any pork dish though. The other thing missing is soup noodle, which I do not miss anyway. The drinks is the usual ice, tea, coffee and cendol. This would remind you of Old Town or Pappa Rich kind of menu. So, how is the food.... surprisingly good. This remind me when Old Town is still a shop instead of a chain. How they use to make good nasi lemak before it got generic. The food is really fast, considering the whole shop is full of patrons.

nasi lemak with rendang, OTK style

First, mother-in-law ordered nasi lemak with rendang ayam (RM6.90). The whole presentation reminded me of OTK. The taste is rather good. Like how OTK was before they go chain. Colleen asked for nasi kunyit with ayam panggang (RM9.80). Bit of the pricey side, but the tumeric rice (not nasi pulut though) goes quite well with the roast chicken. The taste reminded you of the nasi kandar, especially the sauce where I would ask for "sos campur-campur". Both of the chicken shared a same shortfall. I guess they are "grilled" in a oven, where both the chicken, despite the above average sauce, is too dried. Too dried until it is rather hard, and without any juice. Though it may be crispy, but if anyone want it to be crispy, they can just deep fry the bird, so to maintain some juicy feeling when you bite into the meat, rather than as if biting into a toasted bread. Mine was tomyam fried beehoon (RM 5.90). Although the taste is good, many would do it as well. It was too wet for my liking though, I prefer mine to be dry. And it was laking the "wok-hei" of something that is fried right out from the wok.
tomyam fried beehoon

Despite all my complains, the whole dinner, as a whole, is rather good. Given the choice, the environment, the fast service, I would definitely come again.

ratings: 3 poink!
comments: it could be higher, but the chicken just drag it down. Definitely a good alternative for OTK or Pappa Rich.I believe with time, this can outdo the former two.

Spice Of Penang
30, Jln Medan Ipoh 1D,
Medan Ipoh Bestari,
Ipoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment