Friday, February 8, 2013

Mike's Berger Bakar: fresh reboot of roadside burger

burger grill BBQ style: Burger Bakar
I have a soft spot for road side burger stall. They had come a long way from my uni days to my houseman days. I still recall how I love the hot Ramli burger served with extra mayo, more than I love McD. However, the stalls had mushroomed so much in the recent years that it became... generic. Yes, I know that a few burger stood above the rest, some with the black pepper sauce (personal favorite) and some new oblong burger. And recently with the burger "kaw kaw" trend, there is the new home made patty trend with grill burger BBQ style.

Mike's Berger Bakar (not sure whether it is spelling error or Malay translation for burger) is situated deep in Gunung Rapat, just opposite Maybank. Where exactly? It is along the main road of Gunung Rapat, either entering from Jalan Gopeng via Petronas or Pantai Hospital via Politeknik Ungku Omar on the opposite direction. Just locate the row of shop with Old Town White Coffee in the corner with Sin Yeung Wai Duck Rice shop and Yee Hup Biscuit the same row. Across the road up the hilly slope will be Maybank. And at night, is this particular stall manned by a few young chaps.

the familiar burger station
The menu is basically burger with normal burger costing RM2.50. But the stars of the stall are their home made patty. The burger starts from RM6 for chicken and RM6.50 for beef. Variation of Mexican patty which is supposedly bit spicy, Italian with herbs and American patty. After choosing your patty, choose your sauce. I chose percik sauce with my Mexican chicken patty. Looking at them preparing the patty is a joy. Roughly an inch thick, it is a rather meaty patty. After that, they will grill the patty in open fire BBQ style. This is "burger bakar" after all. They even offer free delivery within the vicinity for order of at least 5 burgers.

despite the not-so-nice appearance,
it is actually quite good
The verdict? The burger is definitely thick. Really thick. The percik sauce is  really really superb (ayam percik is, after all, my favourite Kelantan dish). The patty is not bad, however, I cant really taste the spices. I do not blame the patty though, it is because of the percik sauce is so nice and strong that it overflow the patty. The consistency is average, I prefer it to be more "solid". However, the effect of open grill is above the  normal cooked burger. I can taste the grilled taste which can only be tasted via BBQ. The downfall of this burger is the bread. Instead of more quality bread, I felt the bread was bit of letdown. It felt cheap, the kind of poor consistency once toasted.

Overall, it is a wonderful experience. Given the lack of stall with home made patty, this is definitely a great stall to visit. And the taste is great, the owners are friendly, I can definitely overlook the shortfall and come visit again.

ratings: 3 half poink!
comments: 2 shortfall. The bread which do not complement the patty and sauce. The price, RM 6 for a roadside basic burger is a bit steep. I rather have a cheaper price with thinner patty. But since they made the percik sauce so well and the patty so nice (I bet the Italian version should be better), this had became my new favourite burger stall.

No comments:

Post a Comment