Monday, November 24, 2014

The Hunger Games, Mockingjay (part1): the making of....

Since Colleen had finished the whole series of book on the Hunger Games series, she had told me enough spoilers to know what to expect from the story. I still think the series borrowed heavily from Battle Royale but I bet lots of fan would think otherwise. Still, I did enjoyed the last 2 movies. Jennifer Lawrence carried the whole of last 2 movies and no regrets of watching her in the big screen.


Colleen again warn me of Hunger Games: Mockingjay (part 1) that there will be not much of action sequence. I told myself, then again, there are not that many actions in the first 2 movies as well, and I still end up enjoying them both. The story picks up from the end of second movie. Katniss was rescued by the rebels from District 13 while Peeta was left behind in the Capitol. To cut the story short, the rebels wanted to make Katniss the spoke person for the rebellion, and she reluctantly agreed, partially to make sure Peeta will be accepted into District 13 once he is rescued. At the climax of the part 1, Peeta is eventually rescued and they discovered he was re-programmed to kill Katniss instead. The end. And I did not even bother to put a spoiler alert there.


Watching the whole movie is like watching those "the making of.." on TV. They showed the interview, bit and pieces how the show is made. The bulk of the first half of the movie centred on Katniss reluctance to take the job, to her conviction to fight against President Snow, and how her promotion video was shot. And you remembered in those "making of..." where they kept repeating the same trailer again and again. Here, you would see rubble, and rubble, and rubble again. Basically nothing happens in the first 1 half hour. I would know. I kept on looking at my watch.


On the other hand, the acting are good. Again, Lawrence carried the show. I guess if it was not her, I would probably slept in the cinema. The action sequence is too few in between, and even in Peeta's rescue mission in ending, there is also not much of adrenaline rush.

Disappointed? yes, I am. It is not bad movie, some may even argue that they would use this movie to develop Katniss character. The fans would argue that they are faithful to the book.My answer? They could have just shorten this film and combine it with the second part to make a longer movie.


rating: 2 half poink~!
comments: while Rurouni Kenshin should have been split into 3 movies, this should have been kept to just one. Like the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment