Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Sato Kitchen: decent lunch for a decent price

We were planning to have a long Friday lunch catching up with an old fren in another restaurant but fate has it that the initial cafe was closed, and while going around in Ipoh Garden East, somewhere near the Old Town area, we chanced upon this new Japanese fusion eatery, Sato Kitchen.

The place looks comfortable and not over crowded. The service, I must say, is one of the best we had. The staff are very attentive without being intimidating. The green tea (with the set lunch) always flow non stop without the staff having to stand beside the table.

Fear not; although the expected menu list may be Japanese selection, the actual fact it felt more fusion. There are lots of basic and sophisticated fusion sushi and rolls, and even foie gras available. How it ended up in a Japanese menu really beats me. For those "kedekut" people like me who always thought Japanese cuisine is always expensive, this small restaurant has something to offer. Since I had a heavy breakfast, I did not intend to try the more expensive offering, so we went ahead with the chicken bento set (lunch set price: RM12.90). Yup, the price itself is amazing. Served with rice, soup, cawan mushi, mash potato (hmmm.. how did that get here) and some other sides. Did I mention the price was amazing? And they did not skimp on the portion either. At first I thought given the economical price, the set would come with a smaller portion but instead, the meal is enough even for a big eater like me. However, for those who are very particular about taste, the Japanese influence here is diluted with local taste. In fact, I though the chicken tasted more oriental than japanese. My teriyaki chicken came across of a mash up between teriyaki and honey chicken. The teppanyaki chiken tasted like a cross between teppanyaki and a Hainan chicken chop (plus lots of onions). Do not get me wrong, I really like the taste, but it may not appeal to some.



I really favour this place for the economical lunch choices, although it may be less Japanese, more fusion in taste. However, for those who favour higher end selection, there are plenty of sophisticated fusion sushi and platter available. Definitely a good place to spend lunch.

ratings: 2 half poink~!
comments: yet to try their sushi but they do
looks good.

Sato Kitchen
22, Jalan Medan Ipoh 4
Bandar Baru Medan Ipoh
05-5450085

No comments:

Post a Comment