Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dragon One: different Shanghai dimsum


I have always enjoy dimsum; they have this special place in my heart. And even more so, after going to Shanghai and tried the food there. It is different from our usual southern style dimsum. Frankly I had not tried many other Shanghai dimsum but finding one in Ipoh is indeed a blessing. 

custard egg yolk bun: top recommendation


Dragon One ( there had been so many restaurant with Dragon etc so do not be confused) is not new. It had open for business for quite some time in De Garden complex opposite Aeon Ipoh Garden. The complex is rather small so one would not have difficulty finding this place on the ground floor facing the main road. 

shanghai steam dumpling with soup
pretty lady bun do look pretty
steam prawn dumpling
Typically a chain-restaurant, expect to find the similar booth like tables and simple deco. The food? A mixture of typical dimsum and Shanghai counterparts. I had been here so many times, the one thing that I keep on ordering is custard egg yolk bun (RM4.50 for 2). I first have this in Shanghai and I can tell you that the ones here is equally as good. The bun is made with a tinge of pandan and mint flavour for the local touch. The custard filling is filled with egg yolk taste. The filling, like the Chinese name suggests, flows out graciously. Simply delicious. Each time I come, I would order something different from the menu besides the bun. The other dimsum that people would recognize is the steamed Shanghainese meat dumpling with superior soup (RM6 for 3). This famous dimsum is like a small steamed bun with actual soup in the filling. Take a bite and drink the soup. Or, like how I like it, dip it in ginger and vinegar and eat it whole. However, do not expect a lot, I actually tasted better ones elsewhere. Do not misunderstand me, this is rather good, but just that if compare to the ones in Shanghai, one would definitely notice the difference immediately. Today, I ordered other dishes as well. Rice flour roll with crispy prawn (RM 6.80) is rather good. The prawn is rather fresh mix with a outer crispy deep fried layer. This felt more like variant of the local dimsum though. The Steamed prawn dumpling with spinach (RM3.50), though looks more like the local "hagao", but with the fresh prawn do taste bit more superior. Lastly, I tried the pretty lady bun (RM 5). Though the filling do taste sweet but not overly saccharine sweet; the bun felt bit lacking. Especially I ate it last after finishing the rest, it felt flat. 
rice roll with prawn, reminded me of nice chucheongun

Overall, do expect to spend RM15-20 per person for a small decent breakfast here. That is not cheap, but given the environment and it is after all a dimsum breakfast (option is to come here for supper), I could not complain much. Definitely my favourite Shanghai dimsum joint. 


ratings: 4 poink!
comments: tried many of their dishes, most are quite good. Extra points for the custard and egg yolk bun. The only deterring factor probably is the price (and 10% service tax). Then again, eating in other dimsum shops probably would end up paying the similar price.

Dragon One
GR 15, 16, De Garden,
3, Psn Medan Ipoh,
Ipoh
05-220190

No comments:

Post a Comment