Sunday, September 15, 2013

Super Soya Beancurd 无敌豆花专卖店: right direction, not so right journey



 I am a fan of taufufa (beancurd dessert). The odd thing is I do not enjoy them as much when I was young, but somehow when I left Kampar for study, that is one of the thing I miss. And ever since, I am a converted fan of a good bowl of taufufa. I always enjoy the traditional taufufa that was sold with the good old wooden bucket. The taufufa is still hot from the bucket and once cooled down in the fridge, it was superb served with the traditional syrup or mixed with ginger or even better, gula melaka. Somehow, I was always skeptical of the newer version of taufufa, especially if they are served in plastic bowls.

Imagine my surprise when I bumped into Super Soya Beancurd (or in Chinese, taufufa specialty shop) in Kampar. Frankly speaking, I was really skeptical. But curiosity got better of me, I was bound to try it someday. Even though I saw the banner long time ago, I was unable to locate the place. It was coincidentally during one of my cycling trip in Bandar Baru I bumped into this shop. It is located in the older part of Bandar Baru Kampar, before crossing over to Westlake. Located near the site for night market every Wednesday, just look out for the only old row of shop near the night market site perpendicular to the site.

To be fair, the idea is rather good. It modernize the whole taufufa dish. Make it more hip. And sprinkle some creativity and innovative change. Makeover for the shop, make it more young looking. On paper, it is definitely recipe for success, throw in a loyalty card to make sure people do come back for second or third helping. It is on the right direction. Decoration is surely nice, hip and modern. Suit the younger crowd. It is the expected self service style but the pair manning the counter do make my visit felt welcomed. I almost feel guilty for not writing a better review.

 The most important thing is the taufufa. Do not get me wrong. It is not bad. The beancurd is rather smooth, full of soya smell. So much so that is is not my liking, though that is only due to my own preference. It is not so sweet, which is a good thing. I still prefer my taufufa with a bit firmer consistency. The whole menu is variety of topping for the taufufa. Now we understand that the taufufa is rather average, it is the topping that carry the dessert. There are so many choices and I am really impressed with the variety of topping that work well with beancurd. Mum chose the almond with raisin topping and it was really awesome. The almond was crispy and blended nicely with the beancurd. My choice was nangka with dragonfruit topping which is nice enough since I love nangka. Colleen chose the kiwi with mango topping which ended up rather average. Overall, both the fruits felt fresh. Dad went with the more traditional guilinggao topping which is rather odd to take with taufufa.

Given that it is on the right direction, somehow I still felt unsatisfied. The execution of the idea has so many shortfalls or potential issues. I do sound impressed with the dessert so what was wrong? The price combination with location. The average price per taufufa is RM5.50, though the helping is just nice for a big-eater like me. I do understand the younger crowd would be willing to pay for dessert (more willing than me), but this location is rather far from other sites. That means I would have to come all the way here specially for the beancurd and nothing else. The beancurd has to be really special for me to make the journey, and although it is nice, it is not that out-of-this-world nice. If this shop is located in the main Bandar Baru square area, I bet it will be making profits much much more. For an average "uncle" like me, I do not mind the extra topping, but the main idea was to enjoy a good dose of taufufa. To pay RM5 for one, is a bit high for me. I do not mind lesser price with lesser topping. Then again, in the days where students pay up to RM10 for a cup of coffee, the price here for taufufa is not a surprise.

To those who do not mind the drive or the price, this will make a very good dessert. For a extra "kiam" uncle like me, I would probably visit my favourite taufufa stall in the market.

ratings: 2 half poink!
comments: it is a really good idea. And it taste good too. There is an ongoing promotion for Buy 3-free-1 currently which make the dessert even nicer. However, I factored in that the promotion is not going forever and I probably would not be eating 10 taufufa to earn my free loyalty card taufufa, therefore, I ended up with an average rating.

Super Soya Beancurd
414, Jalan Perak 4
Taman Bandar Baru,
Kampar
open 1000am- 1000pm
016-5272188
facebook/supersoyabeancurd



No comments:

Post a Comment