Monday, September 16, 2013

Sweet Hut: Nice, pleasant,royal sweet surprise

 Once in a while, there are sweet surprises awaiting in life. After a so-so outing with beancurd in the evening, we decided to indulge ourselves for supper. We had seen the banners everywhere, just that the shop is always full (which is a good sign), that we did not have a chance to try the desserts here. Until today.

Sweet Hut, as we discovered later, is a franchise rather than an exclusive new shop. There are many branches, including those in Johor, Penang, and Melaka. But somehow, we always missed this joint in Klang Valley. Kampar is proud, now to have a Sweet Hut in our own compound. It is just on the row next to Grand Kampar Hotel in Bandar Baru Kampar, next to Vegas Kitchen, which I reviewed long time ago. So, one can just pop by after finishing a nice western dinner in Vegas.

To be truthful, I have no expectation when I came. Probably that is why I was impressed at the end. The decoration is simple, and the white theme with green worked very well with the desserts. It actually make the place look larger also. They actually paid attention to the tiny details, so much so that they actually decorated a door outside the shop to make it look more hip. The service was really welcoming, and although our orders had to be changed (twice!) due to the kitchen who ran out of our initial choices, the waitress do appeared genuine in her apologies and even guide us to replace our orders with the nearest choice similar to our initial choices.
baked marquis chocolate pudding

royal durian sago
Expect to spend at least RM10 for each dessert, which is rather expensive for Kampar. Since this is a franchise, one cannot be complaining much. However, once the food arrived, I got what I paid for. The whole menu is filled with different desserts, from pudding to brownies, from snow ice to soup. There are some fingers food, but I bet that is not the reason why everyone came. My first order was royal durian sago with durian ice cream. My first impression was @#%!... a simple bowl of sago with durian ice cream? However, once I took the first spoonful, it was an awesome surprise. It was fulled with durian flavour. Not the simple artificial flavouring one get in a bottle, but the durian taste from the fresh king of fruits. Dig deeper in the bowl and I found some nice durian flesh. Nice touch! The durian taste blended so well with the sago. The durian ice cream was bit wasted though. The dish work well enough without the ice cream and its durian taste pale in comparison with the real durian flesh.  I underestimate the portion as well, although it looked small, but given the durian and the ice cream, I do felt full once I finished the bowl. Colleen chose the baked marquis chocolate pudding served with cream and cookies ice cream. The 15 minutes wait was worth it. Cut the pudding open and hot dark chocolate flows out, much like a lava from a volcano. It smells good too. Pity that I was never a fan of dark chocolate ( I always prefer white), but once mixed with the ice cream, the combo was superb. The ice cream neutralize the bitterness of dark chocolate while maintaining the richness of the chocolate. Both dishes are impressive, even for a relatively higher price.

I would not want to be paying so much for all my supper every night. But again I would stressed that in Sweet Hut, I got what I paid for, which is a rather good surprise with all the mushrooming cafe/ restaurant/ dessert house in Kampar. This had just became my top choice whenever I want to reward myself with some gastronomic indulgence.

ratings: 3 half poink! (Collen gave a 4 poink though)
comments: I know I am always "kiam", and that is what prevented me from giving a higher rating. For those who do not mind their wallet being lighter, this is a near perfect place for dessert.

Sweet Hut
2176, Jalan Timah,
Bandar Baru,
Kampar
016-5042520
http://my.restaurant.openrice.com/sweethut/




No comments:

Post a Comment