Saturday, October 12, 2013

Ipoh Jaya Chucheongfun: so good that you can eat it on its own


There is one single stall that I must patron for lunch every weekend when I am oncall. Colleen is a converted fan as well. It is so good that it deserve a place in my blog even though it is a mere roadside stall. Not that I dislike roadside stall, in fact, I love them so much but most of them are really average and forgettable.


This chucheongfun (CCF) stall is definitely my favorite so far in Ipoh. Located in the Ipoh Jaya Monday pasar malam site, just next to Gunung Rapat. Beside the main road, and in front 7-11 and the rather popular Ipoh Jaya pan-mee, there is a small road side stall manned by a Chinese aunty. Just look out for the stall with chucheongfun banner. Expect the stall to be open nearly daily from 10-11am onward until they sold out of CCF.

Eating from stall negate all the service and the ambiance but it all boils down to the food alone. Chucheongfun is an interesting dish. Most people like to eat it with curry, and some even like to add sweet sauce or prawn paste. But, a good chucheongfun is best eaten with just oil and soya sauce. The chucheongfun is really smooth, and the consistency is rather nice. I still prefer my CCF to be thicker and firmer but this is still better than many others. Unlike the other machine produce chucheongfun, every bite would bring much satisfaction. The CCF comes in 3 varieties, the normal plain ones, the one with dried shrimp or the with "sengkuang" (turnip). Forget the other sauce, the curry here is good but not the best. The chili sauce is nothing to shout about too. Just take the CCF with plain oil, soya sauce and a bit of deep fried onion. The best part is, the whole dish would not burn a hole in the pocket. Each packet would cost RM3-4 depending on the side ingredients one may add such as fish balls.

This definitely is one of the better CCF I had eaten in a long time. Kind of remind me of the old school CCF from the market in my hometown when I was still a kid. Great food!

ratings: 4 poink!
comments: bit on salty side, otherwise, just perfect for my brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment