Monday, October 7, 2013

Sushi Zento:good place for good Jap taste

I could not believe that I had yet to blog about Sushi Zento. It had been quite long since I first came here as part of a big group. As I recalled the food here is NOT cheap at all, then again, the same comment could be given to all Japanese restaurant. However, the taste, as I remembered, was quite nice.

Again, spoil for choice during Friday long lunch break, another colleague suggested Sushi Zento. Why not? I have nothing against Japanese cuisine and find some fondness for the simplistic approach by them. For those who still do not know where Sushi Zento is, just come to the place where all Japanese restaurant gravitate to: Medan Bistari Ipoh. The same place that host Michaelangelo Pizzaria and other rather famous eateries. The exact location of Sushi Zento is in the corner of Festival Walk, nearest to the main road. It is in the same row as Is Sushi that I reviewed last week.

Typical of all Japanese restaurant, we were welcomed by Irasshaimase when we entered, and the usual Japanese style uniformed staff. The usual far eastern tinged deco is to be expected and a bigger kaiten style sushi belt is revolving between 4 rows of tables.

Many of my friends had high regards for the sashimi set here. I will take their words for it, as I myself am unable to distinguish a great sashimi from good ones. My bet is it would not be as fresh as the ones I tasted in Tsukiji Market in Tokyo earlier this year but none the less, it is as good as one can find in Ipoh. Under my friend recommendation, who know about my passion for pork, suggested the braised pork belly ramen. I could not say no to the pork and vowed to make the sacrifice of the pork worth it. The buta kakuni ramen (RM20) is not cheap for a bowl of ramen, but definitely after I finished the meal, I can only say "oishi"! The ramen is slightly tense and hard for my liking, it felt a bit like instant noodle. However, the beauty of the dish lies in the sakura pork. The pork is filled with aroma, and tender to each bite. The best part is the fatty portion which literally melt in my mouth. The unbeatable taste of the pork extended to the soup which I finished until the last drop. Even the sashimi unagi kabayaki set (RM58) ordered by a friend was given a thumb up.

The overall menu is filled with Japanese choices, and a few set item. Do expect to pay an extra bit when coming here, but relatively to other Japanese restaurant, at least eating here made me felt worth the money I paid.

ratings: 3 half poink!
comments: given a higher rating just because they made my day by the beautifully cooked sakura pork


Sushi Zento
2-26,2-27,2-28,2-28A,
Festival Walk @ Ipoh
Jalan Medan Ipoh 1
Medan Ipoh Bistari
Ipoh
05-5452966




No comments:

Post a Comment