Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cendol Padang Ipoh: new twist to favourite cendol

cendol with durian
 I  love a good bowl of cendol. I could still remember enjoying a nice bowl of cendol pulut in Klang or sitting in Donald n Lily for cendol with gula melaka. Of course, the usual day by day cendol is good enough to withstand my cendol withdrawal symptoms, and once in a while we would find a cendol gem here in our backyard. One of the stall which remain my favourite is the one near KK Pasir Pinji, just beside the road. However, more often than not, we will always find the usual mediocre ones or worse, the ones with expensive price with just a mouthful of cendol.

So, one fine night, while cruising around in the area of Ipoh field, me and Colleen chance upon this small shop. The weather was super hot, so we could not resist the temptation of a bowl of cendol although the place appeared deserted at 8pm. Cendol Padang Ipoh is just beside the Ipoh field near St Michael school. These shops used to be office to lawyers, engineers and so on before the renovated the place for eateries. Situated in old town, in the same row as Hong Kong bank, this is the row of old shops which face the field directly. The same row of shops accommodates Old Town White Coffee, and used to hold a famous steamboat shop. This row of shops, once upon a time, is very happening, busy with many people. Some person must have meddle with the fengshui which led to the place changed into a quiet row of old shops.

Back to the cendol shop, my guess this shop used to have banana leaf rice during in the daytime, while the cendol opens from day until night. Eating cendol here is as if eating roti canai in the new mamak shop which offers 71 type of roti canai. There are no 71 flavours of cendol here, but enough choices to have me wishing to try everything. There are the usual cendol pulut, with kacang or jagung. There are also some premium cendol which the combination is creative. I would love to try the cendol with Oreo, but since there are cendol durian in the list, my choice is obvious. The cendol itself is nothing to shout about. It is definitely not the best I ever tasted. The cendol amount is rather average, but more than some places which charges sky high price. The taste is not bad, but the sugar is left me rather unsatisfied. Nothing beats a cendol with good gula melaka. However, the combination is the one which is nice. The durian meat is generous, blended rather well with the cendol. I have to say, they should promote more cendol durian in other places as well as I could see this combination being a favourite among locals.

cendol with corn
To be fair, if I am a purist, this would not even be my top ten place for cendol in Ipoh. However, given the new creative new twist to cendol, I would love to come again. At least until I finish trying all the cendol in the premium selection.

ratings: 3 poink!
comments: cendol durian, cendol Oreo. What else could I ask for?






No comments:

Post a Comment