Saturday, March 8, 2014

Just Deriss: boutique cafe in Kampar? Just amazing~!

Boutique cafe, hip cafe, designer cafe or whatever you may call it; this are the places associated with big towns where the young adults have much more spending power. Where else would you get an expensive designer coffee whose price could easily buy a full meal for a table in the local friendly mamak stall? The price however, as some may argue, include the experience of having a cozy meal in a comfortable surroundings.

Hidden in the old town of Kampar, Just Deriss is a relatively young entry to the makan scene in Kampar. Located in Jalan Idris (the road parallel to the main Ipoh-Kampar- KL trunk road) in old town, it is just right beside EuYanSang. No big and colourful signboard, blink and you may even miss the place. Do not judge a book by the cover, therefore, do not judge a shop by the signboard. As plain as outside could be, once I step inside, I am in a totally different world.

A similarity in between all the recent boutique cafe is the obsessions of objects of yesterday.Think Burps and Giggles or Kedai Tiga Lima in Ipoh. Just Deriss is very nicely decorated, complete with an old bicycle on the wall, old TV, cupboard for diningware and even a signpost in the middle of the shop. This reminded me not to throw anymore similar things away from my house, as my dad own way older objects than any other cafe. (I have yet to see a similar kerosene fan elsewhere, and I have a functional old clock where I have to wind nearly every 2 weeks). I am seated in a secondary school chair and desk, which reminded me of my ACS days. Luckily my long feet are able to fit below the desk comfortably. The staffs are very friendly. The lady boss (I assume she is the boss) gently reminded me that the menu is on the board mounted on the wall.


First, there are a whole list of coffee. I still do not understand paying so much for a cup of coffee, therefore, I always go for something simple. The food choice was......bit disappointing, as there was not many choice. Less than the fingers on both my hand. So, choosing food here is by exclusion rather than my appetite.There is only one Asian noodle dish so Colleen ordered the white Penang curry mee (RM5.90). It may look plain, as there are not many other ingredients inside the bowl except mee, a fishball, tauhu and probably one or two other piece of accompanying ingredients. However, the taste is definitely better than My Kuali instand noodle version. I could not recall whether I tried the authentic Penang version, but this is as good as I imagine it to be. Despite the white colour, it is not as "lemak" as I expect, which is a healthy choice. It is bit mild on the spice side, I wish it could be bit hotter. Then again, I have high tolerance for spicy food. I, on the other hand, went for something simpler, and order the egg and ham sandwich (RM5.90). Served with a crispy charcoal bun, the sandwich is one of the better ones that I had ever tried. The egg and the ham blended in really good with the dressing, which I guess is a cross in between mayo and thousand island. Looks can be deceiving, it may look simple, but the taste is ever satisfying.

Do come here for a comfortable and nice meal. The food definitely taste good, and relatively reasonably priced. The deco is a plus point. The drinks, on the other hand, is higher priced.  Then again, this come from a local guy who regularly visit the local mamak and market for food and drink.

ratings: 2 half poink!
comments: would give it a higher rating is there are more choices of food. I would gladly come here again.

Open for lunch, dinner, and early supper.










No comments:

Post a Comment