Monday, April 6, 2015

Gopeng Laifun 务边四会濑粉

Tired of all the cafes and western joints, sometimes I yearn for a simple lunch. Yet, on a Friday long lunch break, I would hope for a nice shop to lepak a bit longer. Gopeng Laifun in Bercham seems to fit the description. Located across Tesco Bercham, it is among the row of relatively new shop facing the main road.

Entering the shop impress me. The owner really put in effort in collecting old items for the retro decoration. We had seen many similar items in other boutiques cafe, but there are one or two things that I had not seen since my childhood, for example the "tikam-tikam" (lottery) game where we spent multiples of 10 cents in front of grocery shop. Not all of my friend even seen these boards at all.

Then comes the menu. Even though it is suppose to be a straight forward noodle shop, but the menu offers different sets with different combination with different add-on that it became so confusing. My friends needed the waiter to help fill in the orders. Luckily the staffs are patient enough to help us through it. Essentially, the list is noodle with different "liu"'s. On top of the list would be the famous laifun. I ordered the mince sauce dry laifun (RM4.30) served with minced pork, while the set of soup laifun plus add on comes to RM9.90. Most of us would find that the noodle and soup is nothing to shout about. Comparing to the ones I had previously tasted in Gopeng (vaguely recalled the market ones and the "big water pipe" place), this version pales in comparison. I even prefer the ones I had in my hometown Kampar market which is served with a simple soup and deep fried taufu. I could still recall eating those cheap bowl of laifun with roasted pork bought in other stall. Laifun, to me, has a different kind of consistency but the version here clearly is bought from generic factory which lacks the after taste.

However, for dining experience, this is a place to start and a place to have a decent meal without breaking the budget. Not all would like to hang out on a long lunch break in roadside stalls. I would still want to see some improvement on the noodle but I have to admit that to eat the authentic laifun, this may not be the place.

ratings: 2 half poink~!
comments: nice place to hang out. I lowered the poink since I expect some nostalgia with my bowl of noodle, but was disappointed of it. Typing this prompted me to go out and get a bowl in the market this weekend.

Gopeng Laifun
30, bercham Bistari 1
Medan Bercham Bistari
Ipoh
05-5412418




No comments:

Post a Comment