Monday, March 23, 2015

Italia Mia: older may be better

There is a saying in Chinese, the older the ginger is, the hotter it is. In other words, the veteran excel in their field for the experience. The same goes for restaurant. Italia Mia is not new, in fact it is one of the earliest western restaurant in Ipoh. Veteran, in a way. Where some other restaurant had closed down, Italia Mia managed to weather the storm of onslaught of all the recent new restaurant.

Just wander around Sunway rows of shops next to Giant hypermarket, and one would not miss this shop by the main road. We manage to come all thanks to Groupon. The offer is too attractive to resist. I must say, the service is one of the best we ever had. Despite being a customer with groupon voucher, the team of waiter and waitress treated us so well, they made us felt like we were dining in a 5 star restaurant. The surrounding felt like any small bistro with a touch of home here.

The menu, is typically western so expect the same main course of meat, pasta, and pizza. First, seafood pasta (RM26) is a variant from bolognese base. The dish depend rather less on herbs but rely more on the seafood. Surprisingly, the seafood taste really good. Even the accompanying prawn is prepared so well that it is so nice to eat it on its own.  Totally out of this world, though I prefer a cabonara cream base. The smoked salmon pizza (RM26) also impress me a lot. The chef did not save on the cheese and it was a wonderful pizza abundant with taste. The only drawback is that the salmon taste was easily shadowed by the cheese. I still prefer my crust to be thin, but this will do for the dinner. The dessert with panna cotta and tiramisu also surprised us with the portion. Usually, the desserts that comes with set or voucher are so tiny in size that I could finish it all in one gulp but here, the dessert comes as it is one of the starters. Impressive, though bit sweet and heavy for my liking.


In the end, Italia Mia really made my night. Now, I understand how did it stayed on for so long even though it is not in the more popular side of town for food. It is that good.

ratings: 4 poink~!
comments: high poink not for the food, though it is good, but for the combination of food, service and the surroundings. And the fact that the restaurant had been very generous with us

Italia Mia, 
10, Persiaran SC1 2/1, 
Sunway City Ipoh, Perak, 

2 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken the boss/chef has changed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about that as well, though I cant really compare the food before and after since I could barely recall the first time I was here. However, still happy with the current outing here though I had friends who felt that the food used to taste better

    ReplyDelete