Saturday, August 27, 2016

Ming Kei 明记 Chu-cheong-fun: best to have it hot

When it comes to chu-cheong-fun, I am very particular. I was told that a good chu-cheong-fun do not require much sauce, it just need light soya sauce and oil to accompany the great dish. I could not agree more. I know that lots of people everywhere would beg to differ, some like it with fillings such as bangkuang/ turnip (Teluk Intan style), mushroom sauce (tend to see it more often in Klang valley), or the ever popular curry. I used to love it with sweet sour sauce and prawn sauce. However, whenever I wanted to taste the real noodle, I always have it with light soya sauce.





The only other chu-cheong-fun stall where I totally fell in love with is the one in Teluk Intan. Similarly, it is freshly made, right from the steamer. Here in Kampar, we have the chance for similar experience. Ming-Kei is situated in Aston Settlement, right next to Hong Chan estate. If still lost, just go around the area, and the area is not exactly that big. The shop is actually a house where they operated from the kitchen. It opens daily from 7am until they finish the noodle, so do come early. The cheaper version always get sold out early.

We have the options of the usual plain chu-cheong-fun or the ones with pieces of small prawns. There are no version with fillings (Teluk Intan version) which is a pity. The noodle is fresh from the steamer, smooth and with the perfect thickness when eaten hot. One need to order from the kitchen and then pick whatever accompanying meatballs or gravy outside. The choices are limited, the sauce is minimal but the star here is the noodle itself. If you wanted impressive curry to go along, I can suggest another stall in the vicinity, but I still would return here for the simplicity of the dish.

The family running the stall are very simple and humble people. There are few tables outside the house, which makes dining here possible. So many other shops selling chu-cheong-fun from generic factories/ shops so having it fresh from the kitchen, is an amazing dining experience itself.

ratings: 4 poink~!
comments: although I had high praises for the noodle, some may still prefer it less smooth, thicker, thinner... well, you cant please everyone, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment