Thursday, July 14, 2011

Harry Potter: Deathly Hallow Part II: fit for finale

Finally at last, spanning 10 years, Harry Potter franchise had finally come to an end. First, I had to admit, I am not a HP fan at all. But my wife is, so there is no escaping to watch this movie in the first instance in the cinema.


Despite that, I manage to catch all the movies before this, although sporadically. Frankly, I hated the first one, Sorcerer Stone which is basically kiddy movies, much like Sesame Street made into movie. The rest of the movies plays a part in leading to the final ones, some better than the others. The last one before this, Part 1, was let down, started off with a bang (love the part where all the good guys outrunning the evil team, all dressed as Harry Potter) and the rest of the movie is an anticlimax.


So, I started this film with not much anticipation. Wife told me the whole story when the book was launch (I was too lazy to read anyway), so I sort of know how will it end. It picked up where the last movie end, Harry and gang continue to look for Hocrux, which is Voldermont soul broke into pieces. They found it, including discovering the last piece, which may be surprise to some, and destroy every piece, in the nick of time. Happy ending. The end.


Acting was good all round, as expected since everyone reprise their role, and been playing them for the past 10 years. The story was good as well. The movie did the book justice, according to wife. The build up to the battle in Hogwart was good. However, I find that the movie climax too early as I take the battle as sort of climax of the show. Then again, wife describe that the battle was sort of in the mid of the book. Forgivable. However, I felt the show became soapy after that. I was expecting the battle to be much more vicious, more action also. The script could explore how few of the character died, such as (spoiler ahead) one of the twin and the werewolves couple. Then again, wife also said that the book did not explore how they died, they just did. And of course, Voldermont was not evil enough. He just look like a bald fella who was angry he lost his hair.


Overall, I do think it is a good movie, none the less. However, it would only be excellent to few groups:
1. Harry Potter fans ( who basically read all the books)
2. someone who had just finish HP movies marathon
3. someone who brought along someone from group 1 & 2 to the show so that they can explain the background to the show. (like me, least wife explain some of the background to the story)

ratings: 4 poink for the 3 groups above, otherwise, you would be lost half way into the movie, so 3 half poink
comments: I finally understand why Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 92%...

No comments:

Post a Comment