Saturday, May 18, 2013

Oz: not the magical land, but unique nonetheless


I seems to be starting my post nowadays with bit of confession or disclaimer. Probably the defensive part of me is rather evident but I kept on reminding myself that what taste good to me might not be edible to other, and what I think is bad might interest others. One's man roast pork might be other man...well, come on, who would not like roast pork.

pork schnitzel 
So, today I would confess that I had not been to Australia, so I would not know whether when one would claim they serve Aussie dish, would it be genuine or just utilizing the name Lynas wave. Anyway, it seems that Ipoh resident is getting lucky, beside the usual Far Eastern cuisine or northen Indian delicacies, now we have the down under. Oz is situated in Medan Ipoh, the new place in town which packed lots and lots of new restaurant. And probably this is the place with the highest density of Japanese restaurant. It is just 2 doors away from Spice of Penang which I reviewed weeks ago. The same place as Michaelangelo pizza and opposite to Sushi Zento. To those who are still lost, just look for Tesco Ipoh Garden, head towards Bercham direction, and look for Redcom computer shop.

roast chicken
I had to say, the decorations are rather nice. I cant say authentic but it did give me a bit of home feel. The mural on the wall with a bit of aborigine touch is rather genius. Service as compare to other new restaurant is fast and welcoming, with the waiter all wearing cowboy hat. Hmmmm... felt more like western rather than down south.

The menu is essentially western with lots of dishes with meat base. Do not expect to come here to order chakueitiao with the normal pork chop. That, you can get it next door. The dishes also come with Australian city names to make it felt authentic. Whether the food is close to the original taste, I would not know. The pricing is very reasonable with the burger and pie starting from RM 9.90. Nowadays, it is rare to find any dish in western restaurant starting below RM10.

chicken and mushroom pie
I ordered the pork schnitzel (RM14), and it did not disappoint. It was bit on the dry side, but the taste is fair. I would prefer the meat to be more juicy, then again, this is not roast pork but schnitzel. Colleen ordered roast chicken (RM16.50). The portion is rather big, considering there are other side dishes as well. It definitely taste better than the generic Kenny Rogers, but not brilliant though. The side dishes of mash potatoes was above average though. Mum in law ordered Sydney chicken and mushroom pie (RM9.90). This, to me was the best among the 3 dishes we ordered. The pot pie was fluffy, and not too heavy. The filling is generous and the taste is just nice without getting too heavy too. The taste of all 3 is not the conventional western or pseudo western one may find in other kopitiam style joints. And that is unique.

Overall, we all enjoyed our dinner, this is definitely something to try without burning a hole in the pocket. It did score high in uniqueness, but not without its room for improvement.

ratings: 3 half poink!
comments: higher ratings due to the only place which serve Aussie dish here, but for western cuisine, both Colleen and me still would say Hot Jack anytime.

Oz
26, Jalan Medan Ipoh
Medan Ipoh Bestari.








No comments:

Post a Comment