Friday, May 24, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness: sometimes reboot make sense










Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) Poster

Confession time. And I am expecting a lot of Trek fan to hate me. I always thought Star Trek is the sissy version of Star Wars. Come on, I was a kid when I saw all the men in tight fitting shirt going where no man had gone before. I was too young to understand the drama behind it. The Next Generation was good, it even  leave me with a good impression of Captain Picard and his crew. But still did not manage to change my impression of Kirk and Spock. However, the last reboot with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto did bring some fresh air into the premise.


Star Trek Into Darkness is the second installment in the reboot to make Star Trek more contemporary. The story had more guts and grit to it. Less sissy of course. The main story started with the main villain Khan waging war on the confederation, terrorist style, killing many Star fleet captain. Kirk and his gang embark on a mission to chase and hunt down the villain. In the process, they undercover a darker conspiracy to start a war with Klingon and the villain turn to ally for a while. In the end, we know that all the crew will survive (it is sort of prequel to the series after all) and the bad guy was defeated.


The cast? I always have thought that William Shatner has left a difficult shoes for Chris Pine to fill. I have to keep on reminding myself this is the younger version and more reckless as well. Fair, but still not a perfect match. Zachary Quinto on the other hand; I had learned to love to hate him during his Syler days in Heroes. He IS the younger version of Spock. Benedict Cumberbatch was the main reason why we came and watch the show. My wife will definitely kill me if I say anything bad about him. Come on, Sherlock as the bad guy? Nice! He play his character well, ruthless, and yet stylish in the process. The rest of the crew provide just the right chemistry to the equation, making it a fun time to watch everyone in action.


The script was good enough without too many philosophical talk from Spock. The action is good enough as well without any memorable starship battle or fights. However, I still do feel the film was lacking something. I felt it tried hard to be everything. Sometimes it work, sometimes not. It did felt more like a suspense sci-fi in the beginning, disaster film in the middle and more like a TV series towards the end. Then again, what do I know, I do not like Star Trek in the first place.


We did left the cinema feeling good. Probably 1 month down, I would forgot the whole film like how i still could not recall what happen in the first film. The only thing I would recall probably is how Cumberbatch bring a new level of style into being a villain.

ratings: 3 half poink!
comments: I still find their uniform sissy. Why they never consider white like storm trooper or red like the imperial guard or better still, black like Darth Vader....

No comments:

Post a Comment