Sunday, April 15, 2012

Battleship: just to watch the ships

Hasbro and movies. Not a good combination. Look at how they actually destroy the Transformers franchise. And to translate the board game battleship into a alien movie? And I am not battleship kind of person either, probably more of battle tank or fighter jet. Even Apache helicopter get more attention from me. So, the following review may be bias.


Then again, I really have low expectations of Battleship even before entering the cinema. All the online review actually gave me some mental preparation. The story is simple. Alien invade earth. Shield off Hawaii island. Only 3 destroyer within the shield. Sink 2, left 1. Unlikely hero, Alex Hooper promoted to captain (since the top officer died) sink alien. The end.


Basically, I hated the acting. Taylor Kitsh is horrible. Rihanna is ok. Liam Neeson is not even the star of the show. Brooklyn Decker, who is that. They all got the constipated look through out the movie. Then again, I did not came to watch any of the acting anyway.


The action. Only start mid of the show. Now, the first 20-30 minutes supposedly was meant for some character development, but it was so draggy, I might as well enter the cinema late. The show only did start after the alien comes. The CGI is good, not spectacular though. The action sequence between alien warship vs destroyer is good. The sequence imitating the boardgame is really brilliant, using boey as coordinate to hit the alien warship which bounces rather than sails. Alas, those boardgame alike sequence is only bout... 10-15 minutes of the show, and I do not understand why they want to pay Hasbro just for that.


Other than that, there are some funny moments, but then again, to laugh in a summer action show is not a good sign either. The show did proves me wrong in some way. Unlike what I think before, battleship, carriers, destroyer (all are ships) are cool. However, I still agree with most of the reviewer, this show sank. Not because the action is not good, but with so many blockbuster in vicinity and coming out soon, this certainly is not good enough.


ratings: 2half poink!
comments: at least they have one ship from Malaysia. Plus, I still enjoy ID4 more than this. At least that show has action, humour and story in a show. And, I really hate this when it always have to be the Americans who save the world....Bah, Humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment