Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wrath of the Titans: not so epic tale

I have to apologize. I could not recall the first movie Clash of the Titans. I could recall the original one though, where all the special effect is plastic. But not the one by Sam Worthington. That could only mean that the movie was rather traumatizing that my mind decide to chuck it somewhere in my subconsious. But since I feel forgiveful today, and there are nothing much to watch anyway in the cinema, we decided to give Wrath of the Titans a try.



Continuing the story, Greek Gods Zeus and Poseidon was betray by Hades and Ares and Zeus was captured and his power is used to free Chronos, the big bad villian. So, it is up to Perses, the demi god, son of Zeus to save his God-father Zeus with the help of Agenor, half son of Poseidon and Andromeda, obtain the 3 legendary weapon and stop Chronos.


The script do improve this time, less cheesy. Th acting also bearable. I like Sam Worthington as Perses. I like Rosamund Pike a lot; I always think she has such elegance, but I do not understand her role in the whole movie except to put a female face there to avoid being call a gender bias movie. Toby Kebbell is funny as Agenor and got all the funny one liner but still, his character appear rather paper thin and how he redeem himself, from zero to hero was not explore at all.


The action was good. In fact, the CGI is impressive that the panning shot of Tartarus Prison is nice and the portrayal of Chronos as a huge lava creature is brilliant. Sometimes, the action was too fast that I could not appreciate much of it though. For example, the minotaur was not shot well. The battle scenes with the Titans was not shot clearly except that some black creatures charging at the Greek soldiers. Overall, the way everything is shot, makes the whole move feel kind of lacking something. The story of obtaining saving Gods, obtaining legendary weapons do make a good RPG game story but lack the excitement. The so call final battle scene lack the epic feel to it, even LOTR which was made eons ago beat this one to a pulp.


In the end, I do enjoy the film a bit, probably since I have no expectation at all when I enter the cinema. However, I am sure that few weeks down the line, I would forgotten this movie.

Ratings: 2 half poink!
comments: my wife seems to enjoy the film more than I do, probably I was sleepy when I watch this.Then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment