Saturday, March 14, 2015

De Dine: run of the mill lunch within expectation


Did not realize Ipoh Garden East have so many new restaurant. For the farewell lunch for an old colleague, she suggested this new restaurant, De Dine for a try. Located in Ipoh Garden East area, just look for Aberdeen or the old My Point (did not know it was closed down recently), and this joint is just in between.

It was a Friday lunch but there are not many people around; most probably due to the choices aplenty and this considerably new unknown joint. Good for me, as I prefer a quiet lunch with friends. With the limited patron, service is attentive. The deco on the other hand, IMHO, is rather plain. Undecided whether to go the simple approach, retro, or high class dark black, it ended up being a blend of everything with motifs of flower on the wall. Hmmm... However, we are here for the food.



The menu is strictly western, which is another good point. Too many fusion cafes churned out too many ordinary or less than ordinary food around. We decided to go set lunch just to save the burden on my pocket. Therefore, I could not comment much on the other offerings, but just on my set. There is option to upgrade the set of the day (RM18.90 for only 1 choice) to any main course in the menu, which ranges from pasta to chicken, for only RM5. The set comes with drinks, of course, soup, main course and dessert. The soup of the day is pumpkin, which I enjoyed. Though it is not the best, it definitely works well as a starter. The main course is spicy squid aglio olio pasta. Not many people enjoyed that but weirdly I do. Partly due to my high tolerance of spiciness and hotness, which I think blended up nicely in the dish. What we ended up with is a pasta dish which stimulate the taste bud very well. Then again, a good aglio olio should find a balance between the simplicity and the complexity of taste. Again, as much as I enjoyed it, it is still did not surpass the few pasta dish I had in recent weeks in other place. The dessert, on the other hand, is the winner of the set. Pudding base with bit of coconut slice, works very well to end the dining experience. Too bad, the portion is so tiny to fit inside the set lunch.


Overall, the experience is as expected from a decent good restaurant. Being averagely decent is not a bad thing, considering the many below-par restaurant around.

ratings: 2 half poink~!
comments: probably lower poink due to the fact that I treated everyone for lunch. When my wallet hurts, it hurts my taste bud as well. Yup, I am that kiam

De Dine
24, Jalan Medan Ipoh 3,
Bandar Baru Medan, Ipoh
012-5225366






No comments:

Post a Comment