Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tea Warmer Treat: Don't judge a restaurant by the name

I realize it had been quite a while I do not come visit Medan Bistari, the area behind Tesco Ipoh Garden. There are a few new eateries here, and some to replace old outgoing ones. Right at the corner in the same row as Redcom computer shop, is this new restaurant replacing the old joint that supposedly to specialize Penang cuisine.

My first impression of TWT, Tea Warmer Treat is "what is that name?!". I can understand TSG, and still would accept STG, but TWT? The name did not make any sense to me. But from outside, the place look decent and nice. In fact it looks like a dessert joint rather than restaurant. You know, the place where people will come for a drinks and cakes. Step inside, and we were greeted with a warm cozy surroundings. The tables are spaciously placed, the decors are typically for any boutique restaurant and every table would nicely seat 2 to 4. The whole place shout fine dining. The only thing that did not impress me was the running lights on the way; felt that it did not fit into the class of the whole place. The service was attentive and friendly, which was a nice way to start my dinner.

The menu is western, with a few choice of mocktails. It did not boast a whole range such as the more budget Hot Jack, but leans towards fine dining restaurant like Citrus. Expect to spend at least RM20 per person for main course here. Did not try the specialty tea though, will do that next time. For some reason, I decided to go veg today and ordered the trio mushroom aglio-olio (RM18). Surprisingly it was one of the better ones that I tasted. The taste is delicious with spice. What makes it a winner is a tinge of hot spiciness which lift the dish to another level. The combination of spice blended nicely not to overwhelm the mushroom which suppose to be the star of this dish. The only drawback is that I felt the dish is tad bit oily. Then again, this is aglio olio. Colleen ordered citrus dory (RM23) which is another impressive offering. The fish is nicely done, not to overcook the meat. The taste of citrus just nicely complement the fish as not to overshadow the meat. The best part is the mash potato, which is made from real potatoes (not the powder offerings from most kopitiam). The taste of butter is really empowering (I like butter) with a tinge of saltiness. Most people may not like it, but I simply love the taste. Last but not least on my order was passion fruit mojito (RM9. Nothing to shout about but still good enough to replace the real deal.



Despite the price, the million dollar question is would I return. I guess I would. It was a really good dining experience. Although I advocate that good food should not burn a hole in the pocket, but the taste here is really tempting.

ratings: 3 half poink~!
comments: would rate higher if the price would be slightly cheaper, but then again, with all the boutique restaurant nowadays, the price here would be considered as reasonable.

Tea Warmer Treat (TWT)
30, Jln Medan Ipoh 1D
Medan Ipoh Bestari
31400, Ipoh
05-5417176
www.facebook.com/twt.teacafe









No comments:

Post a Comment