Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Farmhome: the novelty of having porridge steamboat






I had never been a fan of steamboat. The food, I meant. Well, I do love the fun of fighting for fun during steamboat when I was a kid (come on, no one eat like a gentleman when they were small). I do love the current trendy steamboat buffet style which often comes with grill (notable good ones in Teluk Intan). However, I never actually enjoy the food in steamboat. I do like some of them fresh, but given the price, I would probably like my meatballs n fishballs from stalls. I would also enjoy the mini steamboat (lok-lok or local satay celup) from the stall. Cost less for more.


Hence, eating in Farmhome not really excite me. However, it had been eons since I last came here, it would be interesting to come back again for a meal. And it really did not change much. The place still remain as how I remember it to be. Situated in Pasir Pinji/ Pasir Puteh area, just drive along the road heading to Ipoh Airport, and you would see the shop. If heading from Tiger Lane, across the flyover, it would be on the left side before hitting Pasir Puteh proper.




The restaurant gave a homely feel, much because of the deco. The place also run by a family as you can see siblings (I presume) running around serving guest. The menu still remain the same after all these years, only the price changed. Depending on the number of guest, you could order the small, medium or large set. Of course the larger ones would have more variety. We order the special variety set (RM35) which is just nice for 3-4 persons. There is the usual meatballs, fishballs, lots of vege, few mushrooms, chicken meat, udon and few prawns which are not exactly very fresh. Put into a boiling pot, and there you have it, instant steamboat. Then again, you still have to pay for the porridge which is RM1.80 per person, but the porridge is free flow so you can add it later inclusive of the payment.

It may sound simple, but there are few exceptions here which are good. First, it is porridge instead of soup based. I know, now we have lots of option elsewhere from the normal herbal soup to tomyam and miso. I had even tasted other porridge steamboat elsewhere, but the porridge here really taste like porridge. Not too thick until you cant do steamboat, not too watery either which would end up being few rice in water. The steamboat is done in claypots not steel, which, to me is ideal to maintain the heat and for porridge steamboat. In addition to that, add bit of soya sauce and sesame oil which is provided as well, the porridge do taste really good.


In addition to that, there are other side addition as well. Did not actually read through, but the favourite ones we added was chakuai (RM3.50) . Overall, it is real nice for a change, definitely a good porridge steamboat, but steamboat nonetheless.

ratings: 3half poink!
comments: tired of steamboat, think porridge

Farmhome Restaurant
51, Laluan PinjiSeni 4,
Taman Pinji Seni, Ipoh
012-5088603

No comments:

Post a Comment