Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nanyang Kopitiam: comfortable place, too bad food is not as great


Since parents had their own dinner plans, my wife and I decided to go back to Ipoh for dinner. After few meals eating out Jap and dimsum, both of us wanted something simpler and probably less exaggerated, and couple with the fact we were too lazy to drive far for food, we decided to just eat nearby in Gunung Rapat.

This is not our first visit to NanYang Kopitiam. It is conveniently situated next to YaoHan cakehouse, and CIMB bank in Gunung Rapat, similar row as Secret Recipe. Just beside the main road in Jalan Gopeng, one will not miss this row of shop. I presumed that the working hours included both lunch, dinner and also supper time.

First, the deco is rather homely. I love the black and white picture on the walls. Next to the ones found in Old Town, this probably is one of the better ones. The spaces between the tables are spacious, unlike some of the joints which squeeze the place to accommodate more patrons. Patrons usually are not many, and I seldom see people smoke outside either. The service is rather homely, always with a smile. I really feel comfortable eating here. I can still recall the last time I was here was nearly half year ago while having supper with my cousins.


The range of food is the usual kopitiam list. A must would be the usual bread based. Next is the local oriental food, the nasi lemak, noodles, rice etc. In addition to that, some simple western dish such as chops and fish chips. I can recall the toast were rather nice, though not brilliant. Tonight since it suppose to be dinner, both of us ordered something heavier. Wife ordered chili pan mee (RM 4.80), the panmee was rather ok, however, the whole dish came across like dry panmee with bit of dry chili on top. My impression of a good chili panmee would be on the chili, probably in addition of the dry chili, one may want to add Taiwan style chili sauce. Bit disappointing. Next was my pandan nasi lemak special (RM4.90). They ran out of pandan nasi lemak so substitute with chicken rice. However, the dish was rather small, (even for my wife), the sambal was as if one spoonful, and the fried chicken that came along with it, is sooooo skinny. The sambal lacks the oomps also.


In the end, it was not a satisfying dinner, however, given that previous experience was not as bad, this only teaches me a lesson that I would prefer to come here for the tea and bread rather than the heavy meals. Plus, the food is halal, so even Muslim friends can come here for a drink. On top of that, the price is rather cheap given the place and the usual kopitiam style of food.

ratings: 2 half poink!
comments: drink and bread and chat, probably that is what one may want to come here for.

NanYang Kopitiam
294, Jalan Gopeng,
Ipoh
05-3138215

No comments:

Post a Comment